Trongsa lies smack in the center of the country. Due to this feature, in the olden days when Bhutan was made up of many smaller power holds, the one that controlled Trongsa was the most influential and thus considered the strongest.
Trongsa – The Stronghold of the Old
- Location: Central Bhutan
- Distance from Thimphu: 199 km / Drive time: 7 hrs 30 mins
- Distance from Bumthang: 68 km / Drive time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- Altitude: 2,180m / 7,150ft
Built in 1648, it was the seat of power over central and eastern Bhutan. Both the first and second kings of Bhutan ruled the country from this imposing Dzong. As per tradition, all the five kings were invested as Trongsa Penlop (Governor) prior to ascending the Golden Throne. The Dzong is a massive structure with many levels, sloping down the contours of the ridge on which it is built. Because of the Dzong’s highly strategic position, on the only connecting route between east and west, the Trongsa Penlop was able to control effectively the whole of the central and eastern regions of the country.
This watchtower, which once guarded Trongsa Dzong from rival forces, stands on a hill above the Trongsa town. It was built by Chogyal Minjur Tempa, the 1st Governor of Trongsa in 1652. The Ta Dzong now houses a the Museum of Monarchy which has a fantastic collect of arts and artifacts.
This two storied modest palace situated just above the Trongsa – Zhemgang highway is the birth place of our Late King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck. His Late Majesty spent most of his early childhood days here in the Thurepang Palace. Another palace of interest in the vicinity is the Eundu Choling Palace which was the winter residence of the first King Ugyen Wangchuck.
Kuenga Rabten Palace
Kuenga Rabten Palace is at about 23 km from Trongsa towards Zhemgang. The Palace was the winter residence of the second King. An afternoon excursion offers further insights into the early days of Bhutan’s monarchy.
Chendebji Chorten is en-route from Thimphu to Trongsa. With is distinctively painted eyes, it was built in the 18th century to mark the spot where an evil spirit was believed to have been subdued.