The Royal Wedding of His Majesty the King and Her Majesty the Queen of Bhutan will be held on October 13, 2011, with the celebrations covering three days, from October 13 to 15, 2011. The Royal Wedding will not be a media show and the celebrations will not be an ostentatious event of pomp and elaborate festivity. It will be a sacred ceremony and a special occasion for the Bhutanese people.
Media Accreditation for the Royal Wedding
There will be photo opportunities of the various parts of the Royal Wedding on October 13, 14th and 15th at various event venues
There will be media briefings:
- by the Prime Minister of Bhutan – October 12
- by Secretary, Ministry of Information and Communication (MoIC) – October 12
- Reception by Minister of MoIC – October 12
- Briefing of the sacred wedding ceremony in Punakha – October 13
- General Briefing – October 13th, 14th and 15th
Special accreditation will be issued to local and foreign media representatives (reporters, photographers/cameramen etc) who are assigned and authorized by their media organizations to cover the Royal Wedding of His Majesty the King of Bhutan on October 13, 14, 15, 2011. They will be given access to venues of the events and services organized by the Media and Publications Committee. Freelancers must produce a letter from the media that they are reporting for or seek special permission from the Media and Publications Committee.
The following documents are required to process accreditation:
- Completed Accreditation Form (ask by email)
- A copy of valid passport information page (mandatory)
- 2 passport size photographs
- Company Profile
- Letter of Authorization from the parent media organization
These details may be forwarded through the nearest Bhutanese embassy or sent directly to:
Secretary of Media and Publications Committee
Media accreditation fees, visa fees, and royalties are waived off from 10th October to 16th October, 2011 for foreign media personnel coming to cover the Royal Wedding.
The last date for registration for the accreditation is on 30th September, 2011. Hence all required documents must be mailed on or before the deadline.
Visa for media personnel
All foreign nationals, except nationals of Bangladesh, India and Maldives, require visas to enter Bhutan. The following documents are required to process the visa:
- Completed Visa Application Form (click to download)
- Photocopy of Passport (mandatory)
- A Passport-sized photograph
These details may be sent along with the details required for accreditation.
All media equipment must be declared at the entry point and re-declared at the departure point. The details of media equipment should be mailed to the Media and Publication Committee (Contact provided) for pre custom clearance. Officials from the Committee will also facilitate media personnel in this respect on arrival.
Facilities for Media: Media Centres
A media centre equipped with computers, high-speed internet connection, telecom facilities, facsimile and postal facilities will be established in Thimphu. Smaller facilities will be available at other important venues of the Royal Wedding.
The Committee will provide the details of how and where to get the television feed for news in due course of time.
Transport arrangements for media personnel in groups will be provided as follows:
- Paro Airport to Thimphu and back will be provided in from 11th October to 16th October, 2011
- Phuntsholing to Thimphu and back will be provided in from 11th October to 16th October, 2011
- Thimphu to Punakha and back on 13th October, 2011, to cover the sacred Royal Wedding ceremony and celebrations in Punakha
- Throughout the celebrations, buses will ply on designated routes and will pick up and drop off media personnel at specified points
- In Thimphu pick-up and drop-off arrangements for media personnel will be available. Media personnel wishing to make their own transport arrangement for pick up and drop off at the airport in Paro or Phuentsholing can do so through licensed travel agents and tour operators
Entry to Bhutan by air
Specially for media personnel covering the Royal Wedding, Druk Air will provide a chartered flight with tickets to be purchased by the passengers (to be confirmed):
- October 11 – Kolkotta-Paro
- October 16 – Paro Kolkotta
Entry by road
Media personnel planning to enter Bhutan by road may do so only through Phuentsholing. To facilitate the visiting media personnel, a one-stop service center will be set up at Phuentsholing.
Foreign media representatives may choose to avail the service of the Media and Publications Committee to make logistical arrangements including booking hotels and vehicles by notifying the Committee in advance. No fees shall be charged for the services of the Committee.
Alternatively, arrangements may be made through a registered Bhutanese travel agents and tour operators. The list of registered travel agent is available at www.tourism.gov.bt . Fees will be charged by travel agents for their services.
All movements for the coverage will be coordinated only through the Media and Publications committee.
For any further inquiry, contact:
Secretary of Media and Publications Committee
+975-2-322567 (extension 202)